(Double Click) [to Close]

Friday, March 2, 2012

Shelly Albetta


Friday, April 23, 2010
Shelly Albetta Interview







I want to avoid the typical "beautiful Twins" comments you often see or hear when talking about two twins who are beautiful women. So I will leave it at saying Shelly Albetta and her sister Betsy are beautiful women. But there is more to Shelly than just being beautiful. Shelly is a hard and dedicated worker who ha an amazing physique. I talk to a lot of competitors and usually, like in any field, you will find at least one person with a negative comment about a person. Never heard a negative comment about Shelly. That speaks a lot about her I believe. It shows the inner beauty is there to go along with the outer. She competed for the first time in 2006, and if you look at pictures from show to show, you see great improvement each time, which gives fans something to look forward to as she plans to compete 4 times this year. So I am very happy to post this interview and let you know a little more about Shelly Albetta, and get you ready to root for her and watch her continue to get better.






Q: First, Shelly, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. I am a big admirer and fan, so this is an honor

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I'm 27 yrs old, born and raised as a Jersey girl! I have a twin sister who is my bestest friend and training partner.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I played varsity soccer all 4 years of high school, but nothing in college.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I always admired fit women, and always had an interest in weights. So in college I began educating myself and talking to other women who competed, and that's how I got hooked up with my trainer Mike Davies who I have been with 5 years.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes it was however it took me a while to learn how important diet was along with lifting weights.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I went to my brother in laws bodybuilding show, and saw Figure for the first time, and knew that's what I wanted to do!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: Yes they have always been supportive of my goals and my competing.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I was just glad to have gotten on stage my first show. It was a great accomplishment!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2006- 5th place mid Atlantic
*2006- 2nd place Lehigh Valley
*2007- 4th place Tracey Greenwood
*2007- 4th place Atlantic States
*2007- 2nd place Garden State
*2008- 1st place AC Pro/Am
*2008- 1st place Great Lakes Bodybuilding
*2009- 12th place North Americans
*2009- 8th place Team Universe

Q: What makes you more nervous, preparing to go on stage, or watching your sister on stage?
A: I always get more nervous for her. We are each others biggest fans and I want her to do great in every show she does.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My legs have come up a lot considering I grew them from nothing. I also like my shoulders

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: Shoulders all the way!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I let my trainer do all of the thinking for me diet wise. Training wise I train heavy and hard all year round

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Mostly positive. I get a lot of girls asking how to look the way I do, which is a compliment to me!

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Why don't you eat?", and "Does it bother you competing against your sister in every show?" It truly doesn't, I support her and am happy for her if and when she beats me!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That every competitor is enhanced by drugs... it takes a lot of hard work to get into figure shape there are no short cuts.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Pushing the body mentally and physically is very rewarding, however I tend to miss out on social events and family gatherings during prep.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I admire all competitors that step on stage.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: PIZZA!!!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: To research a trainer that fits with you and let them guide you... but also it is important to learn your own body as well.

Q: You have done quite a bit of fitness modeling. How did you get started in that and what do you enjoy about it?
A: Competing opened doors for photo shoots... I just do them for fun, and enjoy shooting with my sister!

Q: Whats more enjoyable, being on stage, or in front of the camera?
A: I love both equally to be honest!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I enjoy time with my family, my pup and my Boyfriend. I also am very social and like to hang with friends and travel

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Shelly Albetta.
A: work, gym, eat, sleep, repeat.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Probably that I have a twin and we do mostly everything together! We own a 2 family house, work together, and train together!

Q: Describe Shelly Albetta in five words.
A: Dedicated, Smart, Balanced, Fulfilled, Kind.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I plan on competing in 4 shows this year which is a lot, 3 of which will be national shows.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors?
A: I don't actively seek sponsorship but would love an opportunity to represent a company. I feel that if the time is right, it'll just happen, so I don't push that hard.

Q: Shelly, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks for the opportunity to share a little more about myself! And good luck to all competing in 2010!

Hometown: I live in New Jersey. Born and raised
Age: 26
Contest Weight: 110
Off-season Weight: 120
Height: 5'3
Contest History: 2006- Midatlantic in NJ 5th Lehigh valley in PA 2nd 2007- Tracey Greenwood in PA- 4th Atlantic states in NY- 4th Garden state in NJ- 2nd 2008- Atlantic city pro/am- 1st Great lakes in Ohio- 1st
What motivates you to lead a lifestyle that is healthy and active?
Nothing feels better to me than feeling good about my body. You are what you eat. Fueling my body with healthy foods and consistently spending time in the gym allows me to keep my mind and body in a positive state.
Favorite cheat meal? : Pizza!
What do you do for a living…when you get a break from the gym..lol?
I sell promotional items/print to large corporations in the NY/NJ area.
Do you find it hard to date and/or be married when training for shows or when you lead a super healthy lifestyle?
No. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful boyfriend who also competes, so we understand each other 100% and push each other through the ups and downs of dieting.
What goals do you want to achieve in the fitness industry?
Right now my main goal is to improve with every show that I compete in. Eventually, I would love to achieve the ultimate goal of becoming pro, but right now my focus remains on improving my physique to be the best me that I can be. Right now my main goal is to improve with every show that I compete in. Eventually, I would love to achieve the ultimate goal of becoming pro, but right now my focus remains on improving my physique to be the best me that I can be. Right now my main goal is to improve with every show that I compete in. Eventually, I would love to achieve the ultimate goal of becoming pro, but right now my focus remains on improving my physique to be the best me that I can be.
What do you think is your best feature or bodypart? : Honestly I don’t have one particular body part that I think is best. I work to a
Is there anyone you would like to thank?
My twin sister, Betsy. We train together, diet together, and compete together. My boyfriend, Nick, for always being super supportive and helping me improve. My trainer Mike Davies, who I have worked with for 3+ years now.